Photobucket

Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Homemade Almond Milk....Wow.

I have loved almond milk for as long as I can remember.  Never really cared for cows milk (except the fresh, raw milk).  I've been reading how easy it is to do, but just haven't done it.  I even bought 25# of raw almonds back in January so I definitely have some almonds available to experiment with, haha.

Well tonight I hit the bullet and did it...and it was DELISH!  I had soaked 1.5 cups of nuts in filtered water to soak, so they ended up being 2 cups because they puff up a bit when they're soaked.  I put all the soaked almonds in the Vitamix along with 2quarts filtered water and processed on high for 2 minutes.  

Then I draped a nut milk bag over a one gallon container and poured the entire contents of the Vitamix into the nut milk bag.  I squeezed gently until all that precious milk was in my milk container, and all that was left behind in the nut milk bag was (fairly) dry almond pulp. *I put the pulp in a freezer bag to use later

I ended up with about 2.5 quarts of almond.  I finished it off with just a dash of vanilla extract and a tiny bit of stevia.  It is delicious!  And definitely cheaper than Silk or Almond Breeze, not by much but cheaper... And HEALTHIER!

I am doing a happy dance right now;-D

No comments: