Photobucket

Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Depression, Weight Gain, Vitamin D Deficiency....Diabetes.

I try really hard not to be a downer.  You know that person who's sadness sucks the life out of you?  Yeah.  I try not to be that person.  Everyone has their battles.  Some people battle alcoholism.  Some battle drug addiction.  Some people are in a relationship with or married to an abusive partner.  So I really do try to keep my attitude positive and look at the bright side of things.  

But sometimes ya just gotta get  stuff off your chest ya know?

Up until Dad died, I lived in denial that I had been suffering from depression since Ava's birth.  After I left my job at Toyota and took on a new role as stay-at-home mom, I lost track of a lot of things.  I missed my old friends at Toyota something fierce.  I would stop and visit whenever I had the chance.  Eventually these visits came to a halt.  I quit doing things I once loved.  A few months before dad died I had a falling out with someone close to me and it was hard to let go of.  Then after dad passed, this falling out came to a head.  I was 32 weeks pregnant when dad died, so throw some pregnancy hormones in there too.  

When we welcomed little Anson in June of last year it was bittersweet.  Kenny and I were so happy to welcome a healthy baby.  After Ava we wondered if it would happen again for us.  But it hurt that certain people were not there to share in the joy with us.  I felt myself become more disconnected from every day activities.  It was as if I was on auto pilot.  Ava and Aohdan always have clinics and therapies to go to, and having a newborn...suffice it to say there was very little sleep those first several months.  So at first I didn't give the extreme tiredness I seemed to always battle much thought.  I just took extra naps when possible and pressed on.  But it Did bother me that other moms seemed to 'handle' things so much better than I did.  I almost envied other moms I saw playing in the park with their kids, or planning trips to the zoo, etc.  "What is wrong with me?" I thought.  I had gained weight in nursing school, about 20 pounds, and then got pregnant.  So I went into my pregnancy with Anson too heavy. I luckily only gained about 15 pounds, and lost 10 pretty much immediately since he was a 9 pound baby.  But I was still WAY heavier than I should be. 

Just a side note.  Weight sneaks up on a person.  I just had a conversation with a friend of mine not too long ago about perspective.  I remember when I was newly pregnant with Aohdan, our first, and I was started to get a little 'pooch' in my belly.  I was about 150 pounds or so...and I was MORTIFIED when I had to put on a size 12 pants.  I gained 35 pounds with Aohdan and lost all but a few pounds by the time Kenny and I married a year later.  When I got pregnant with Ava, I gained about the same amount, but again lost it all pretty quickly..this time due to extreme stress not healthy eating and exercise like last time though.  When I left my job at Toyota in 2008 things changed.  I quit going to the gym, I quit eating healthy.  I survived on hospital food a lot.  Before I knew it I was back up to what I weighed when I gave birth to Ava...how the HECK did that happen?!  It really snuck up on me because I had started wearing sweat pants a lot since I no longer had to 'dress up' to go to work, I was quite shocked when I went to put on a size 14 and they were tight!  I tried to pick my old, healthy eating style back up but it didn't come as easily as it once had.  I realized I was 100% addicted to food.  I had used it as a crutch and comfort and now it was almost like a drug to me.  I suddenly had a new appreciation for people who were overweight.  You see, for all my life I was between 125-140 pounds. And I thought 140 was fat back then.  Again, perspective.  It's funny when you're trying to squeeze into a size 14, you suddenly would give your right arm to be 140 pounds again.

So going into nursing school I was able to lose some weight and was between a size 12 and 14, depending on the brand.  But I had been biking and working out, so i was actually in pretty respectable shape.  During nursing school I lived in either sweat pants or scrubs, both of which disguise fat pretty well.  When I graduated in the summer of 2011, I stepped on the scale for the first time in a year...yeah we're not going there.  Needless to say I was mortified.  That summer, while waiting to take my state boards, I worked at a friends dairy farm milking cows.  It was hard work, but I Wanted to because I thought it would help me take off some weight.  That fall of 2011, Kenny and I became pregnant with Anson.  I was elated, truly I was.  But I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about gaining even more weight.  I also battled gestational diabetes, which makes things worse.  In the end I kept my weight gain to 15 pounds.  But Anson's pregnancy was hard on me.  When it came time to give birth it was actually a big relief.  

So back to the rest of the story...

This year I have battled depression, fatigue, and extra weight.  NOT a good combination!  So after much prayerful consideration I decided it was time to see the Dr about my depression.  I began a low dose medication that did seem to help.  Things seemed okay, but I was still Soooo tirrrred.  I finally made an appointment last week to get a complete physical.  Even though I'm overweight, I do try to do cardio exercise 2-3 times per week and am hoping to get back to riding my bike.  So I didn't think there would be anything too awful on my lab results.  When the results got back, I found my vitamin D level was extremely low and I was borderline diabetic.  It was a real punch in the gut.  It was in that moment that I truly understood how people could cross that threshold of gaining weight to the point of no return.  What I was dealing with was a bad combination.  Depression and low vitamin D cause extreme fatigue, but being overweight can cause your body to use too much vitamin D, contributing to a deficiency.  A vitamin D deficiency leads to diabetes.  So basically one led to another.  I find all of this out the day after turning 40...great birthday present huh?

I am not expecting to be 125 pounds again, but I believe with my whole heart, that God intends for us to be healthy and vibrant!  So basically I am really praying hard to make some changes.  I am working on some as we speak, but it has been HARD.  I feel so far removed from the person I used to be that it just contributes to my depression.  And depression sucks too!  Because you try to put on a brave face so you won't bring someone else's mood down, when all the while you just want someone to listen.  Life is hard sometimes, and it changes you.  I sit and think sometimes about how much I miss the "way things used to be" when all I really mean to say is that I miss feeling "happy."  People used to always comment on how I was "so positive" and "had such a good attitude."  I just want to get back there, or at least part way there!


So if you're a praying person, I definitely wouldn't mind a few prayers sent my way.  I go in this Wednesday to get tested for diabetes. And I have made up my mind that even if I have it, it is just a good reason to make lifelong changes to my diet.  My main prayer is that this depression will be lifted and that I will stop crying over situations that I cannot change.  I pray that I will take on a new outlook and stay focused on the many blessings God has bestowed on our family.  I know things could be way worse, but I am just getting really tired of being tired and depressed.  It's not me, and I want ME back. I want to WANT to play with my kids and take them places and NOT want to go back to bed 30 minutes after waking up.  I also wanted to share my struggles because I know there are many of you out there who feel the same way and you are Not alone.

Blessings,

The Unashamed Christian




No comments: